Marine Group Boat Works embraces the importance of preserving our environment; and our commitment for taking green initiative allows us to stay on the forefront of conservation for both our community and industry.
- Our 15-acre facility was renovated to include a curbed storm drain system where 100% runoff is captured in 60,000-gallon storage tanks. After tested clear for hazardous materials, the water is discharged to the city for proper disposal.
- We enforce a company-wide recycling program recycling metals, plastics, cardboard and paper.
- The Port recommends that any maintenance including 25 percent or more of a vessel should be done at a boatyard to keep the Bay clean. Our custom-designed 665-ton Travelift allows us to raise boats completely out-of and away-from the water, preventing products used in maintenance and repair of vessels from contaminating the Bay.
- We shrink-wraps all vessels to prevent paint and debris from entering the air or water when sanding and grinding.
- In June of 2010, Marine Group Boat Works completed the design and construction of the first of three Navy RTSC vessels, which are considered to be one of the most environmentally friendly U.S. military vessels thus far, capable of running completely on 100% bio-fuel with cold ironing capabilities.
Marine Group Boat Works, also actively participates in environmental efforts off-site.
- Marine Group Boat Works has donated over $30,000 worth of in-kind products and services to the Chula Vista Nature Center, a community landmark dedicated to providing environmental education on coastal resource conservation and instilling a respect for nature and wildlife in people of all ages. The donation covers the cost of food to feed all the animals at the Nature Center in addition to pro-bono work including installing new signage at the front entrance, providing skilled tradesmen for special projects and volunteering for various programs and clean-ups. Our President Herb Engel, sits on the Nature Center’s board of directors and Leah Yam, director of communications, serves on the marketing committee.
- Marine Group Boat Works participates in other community programs such as the San Diego Port Tenant’s Operation Clean Sweep, San Diego Coastkeeper’s bay clean-ups and the Port of San Diego’s copper-free bottom paint program initiative.
Click the following for articles related to Marine Group Boat Works involvement in environmentally friendly practices.