Marine Group Boat Works embraces the
importance of preserving our environment;
and our commitment for taking initiative
allows us to stay on the forefront
of conservation for both our community
• Our 15-acre facility was renovated to include a curbed storm drain
system where 100% runoff is captured in 60,000-gallon storage tanks. After
tested clear for hazardous materials, the water is discharged to the city for
• We enforce a company-wide recycling program recycling metals, plastics,
cardboard and paper.
• The Port recommends that any maintenance including 25 percent or more
of a vessel should be done at a boatyard to keep the Bay clean. Our custom-designed
665-ton Travelift is allows us to raise the boats completely out of and away
from the water, so products used in the maintenance and repair of the vessels
do not contaminate the Bay.
• For sanding and grinding work, Marine Group Boat Works contains and
shrink-wraps all vessels to prevent paint and debris from entering the air
• In June of 2010, Marine Group Boat Works completed the design and construction
on the first of three Navy RTSC vessels that is considered to be one of the
most environmentally friendly U.S. military vessels thus far, capable of running
completely on 100% bio-fuel with cold ironing capabilities.
In addition to the environmentally
friendly work done on-site at Marine
Group Boat Works, the company is also
• Marine Group Boat Works has donated over $30,000 worth of in-kind products
and services to the Chula
Vista Nature Center, a community landmark dedicated to providing environmental
education on coastal resource conservation and instilling a respect for nature
and wildlife in people of all ages. The donation covers the cost of food to
feed all the animals at the Nature Center in addition to pro-bono work including
installing new signage at the front entrance, providing skilled tradesmen for
special projects and volunteering for various programs and clean-ups. Our President
Herb Engel, sits on the Nature Center's board of directors and Leah Yam, director
of communications, serves on the marketing committee.
• Marine Group Boat Works participates in other community programs such
as the San Diego Port Tenant's Operation Clean Sweep, San Diego Coastkeeper's
bay clean-ups and the Port of San Diego's copper-free bottom paint program
Click the following for articles related
to Marine Group Boat Works involvement
in environmentally friendly practices.